Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

It has been suggested that i have emotionally unstable personality

Customer Question

It has been suggested that i have emotionally unstable personality disorder, however i disagree, i have looked at the symptoms and although i can relate to some of it, i lot of it i dont. I believe its a 'lazy' diagnosis. I have across a term called complicated and acute grief. When i have looked at this, i have every single symptom. I experienced a massive breakdown after a miscarriage and now my entire life is consumed with pregnancy and babies. The heartache felt so bad, i overdosed in an attempt to take my own life. Is it possible to have complicated grief though if the grief didnt necessarily involve a actually person.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i believe i can help you with your query. First of all i am sorry to learn about your tragic loss.

Yes grief can be complicated if that does not involve an actual person more so in your case since it involved a fetus.

Before i give you a more comprehensive answer to your query kindly answer a few queries.

1) Please kindly elaborate on the features that you have which support the diagnosis of emotionally unstable personality ? Have these traits been there right from adolescence or have they begun to show only after the tragedy ?

2) Also try to introspect and then tell me why cannot it be depression that you are having instead of complicated grief ?

I shall get back to you once you reply to my queries.