healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

diagnosed with HSV2 and having nerve pain and numbness

Hello, I have just been diagnosed with HSV2 and am experiencing lower back and severe nerve pain around my spine / buttocks and down my legs including my feet. Numbness around my anus and base of spine.

Generally unwell for last 4 weeks, numbness at base of spine has started in last few days.

I am currently taking aciclovir but I am worried about the numbness as it's making passing stools impossible. I currently have no genital sores. Urinating is harder but not overly difficult.

Is it possible that hsv is effecting my spinal chord. What treatment should I be receiving?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Yes HSV2 virus can in the areas of one or more sensory nerves, often where they emerge from the spine. The pain may be just in one spot or it may spread out.

healthydoc :

As you have neuropathic symptoms including numbness and if it is affecting bowel and urinary problems I would suggest to get lumbar puncture to evaluate if it is in that spinal fluid.

healthydoc :

Medication like lyrica or gabapentin can help with such neuropathic symptoms.

healthydoc :

No medication can relieve the numbness so you may need a course of anti viral medication as well to ease the symptoms.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: Thank you for the reply. Is this a large procedure? I am not having much luck getting help from my GP, is this something that should be done right away and what would happen if left untreated?
Customer: Also, would the spine area usually be affected in reoccurrent outbreaks? Do you recommend suppression therapy to people with neurological complications?
healthydoc :

You're welcome. No it is not a long procedure. I would suggest to get evaluated and if possible see a neurologist.

healthydoc :

Sooner is better.

healthydoc :

Sometimes HSV can be in the nerve cells and react even there is no visible outbreak.

healthydoc :

I am more concerned about urinary and bowel issues due to numbness.

healthydoc :

Evaluation would be helpful.

healthydoc :

Virus would remain in your body forever and would not live your system. It will remain dormant.

healthydoc :

Whenever it would reactivate you would need anti virals to suppress it.

Customer: Thank you very much for your answers
healthydoc :

You're welcome. I wish you the best. For now request your GP to prescribe you gabapentin or lyrica to ease the pain.

healthydoc :

Please rate my answer positively if you have no further questions. Thank you.