healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I have pain on the back of my shoulders, lower back, at the

I have pain on the back of my shoulders, lower back, at the back of my upper thighs and the back of my calfs
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Do you feel pain like burning/

healthydoc :

Besides pain do you experience numbness and/ or tingling?

Customer:

The pain is more like an ache.

Customer:

No numbness or tingling

healthydoc :

okay. Is it constant?

Customer:

Yes, it goes when I take a panadol but comes back again when the effect wears off

healthydoc :

okay. There can be two possibilities first is you are getting muscle spasms or can be a condition called Fibromyalgia which can lead to such widespread pain.

Customer:

How can I identify which?

healthydoc :

You need to see a neurologist. He can test the 16 tender points and if 11 out of 16 is tender than you have fibromyalgia and if not than it can be related to muscle spasm.

healthydoc :

Cholesterol would not cause such pain.

Customer:

If it is muscle spasm what can I do?

healthydoc :

You need to take muscle relaxants like flexiril or baclofen.

healthydoc :

You can apply heat in your back especially before going to bed that would give you relief.

healthydoc :

Basic stretching exercises for back and shoulders can also help to relieve spasms.

Customer:

Would you suggest That I try to treat the muscle spasm before I see the neurologist and if so for how long should I try it?

healthydoc :

it may take 2-4 weeks to relieve the spasm. Yes you can ask your doctor to prescribe you flexiril or baclofen to relieve the muscle pain.

healthydoc :

Wrong postures can also cause such pain so sitting and sleeping should be in an appropriate way.

healthydoc :

Too much and incorrect sitting in front of the computer or in the car and little movement can be bracing muscles and durable wrong postures.

Customer:

How long before I see an improvement and are there any side effects to the medications you mentioned?

healthydoc :

you may get sleepy so take at bedtime.

healthydoc :

you may notice in a week or two.

Customer:

If there is no improvement within this period you are recommending I see a neurologist then?

healthydoc :

Yes see a neurologist.

Customer:

Is there any other advice you would like to add?

healthydoc :

I would suggest light stretching exercises and apply heat.

Customer:

What kind of stretching exercise?

healthydoc :

The exercises that you perform must be gentle and involves techniques that are commonly used in yoga. I would also suggest that you use ice after stretching and also use heat prior to going to bed as this will help you reduce muscle tension. Here is a link to the type of back exercises that you should be doing: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/multimedia/back-pain/sls-20076265

Customer:

Where do I apply the ice

healthydoc :

Ice should be applied to both your upper and lower back muscles 5-6 minutes at a time. You should repeat this process for 30-45 minutes.

Customer:

How often do I have to do the exercise

healthydoc :

2-3 times a week.

Customer:

Just to be clear. I have to do the stretching exercise 2-3 times a week for 30 - 45 minutes applying ice immediately after exercising for around 5 minutes?

healthydoc :

yes

healthydoc :

Please rate my answer positively if you have no further questions. Thank you.

Customer:

Anything else before I sign off. And can I contact you If there is any new developement or if anything occurs to me in the near future?

healthydoc :

Yes you can follow up with me here. Follow what I mentioned above and see a neurologist.