healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

Hi, I am a 35 year old male, a few months ago I started to

Hi, I am a 35 year old male, a few months ago I started to get a tingle/ tickle in both arms and legs all day everyday. I used to experience this feeling sometimes in my legs at night before going to sleep but that was all, now I have this in all 4 limbs and it is very uncomfortable and frustrating. I have had an ECG and a brain scan for separate reasons and these are all normal apart from slight high blood pressure. What I have read is that this could be restless leg syndrome or a trapped nerve, so any advice would be appreciated.

Steven
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Do you still smoke?

healthydoc :

Besides tingling do you experience burning pain or numbness?

healthydoc :

Do you get sudden urge to move your limbs and if you move them do you feel better?

Customer: No none of them and yes I still smoke
healthydoc :

okay. So it is not likely related to RLS. Does this tingling occur in your fingers and toes only?

Customer: Yes if I stretch it goes away but it's only for a few munutes
Customer: No it's in all my arms and all my legs
healthydoc :

okay. As you are smoking it is possible that you are developing neuropathy. This can also cause RLS and it can occur in hands too.

healthydoc :

Scans would not help to evaluate this condition. You need to see a neurologist who can clinically evaluate you and order EMG nerve conduction test and blood test to check iron deficiency.

healthydoc :

Anxiety can also manifest such symptoms.

Customer: Ok so is the answer to stop smoking and this will eventually go? It did all start the last time I stopped for 5 weeks and then I started and it would not go away?
healthydoc :

Yes do not stop abruptly but stop it slowly so that you may not experience withdrawal effects.

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not serious is it then? Shall I ask my doctor to refer me for this?
healthydoc :

you're welcome. It is not life threatening but you need to get evaluated as if it is neuropathy than it may progress. Yes request your doctor for referral to a neurologist.

healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified U.S. Neurologist