healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I have for some time now approx 6 months had ringing in my

I have for some time now approx 6 months had ringing in my left ear. It's not always noticeable so does effect me on a day to day basis. Recently I've noticed on occasions during the day the ringing becomes louder and when I'm sitting back in a chair my head rocks slightly from side to side, I am conscious of this and can can stop this happening if I concentrate but while relaxed it freely rocks. I would say this happens a couple of times a day and lasts from 2 mins upto 20 mins, it only happens in conjunction with ear ringing louder.
Another problem I have is tingling in both hands but more pronounced in right hand. This is particularly apparent when I'm lying down. Every night I go to bed and turn on my side with both arms in line with hands at level of head I get like I can only describe as an electric shock, for a split second a flash of light ( eyes closed) and a jolt that prevents me from sleeping on my side. I am totally conscious when this happens. If I lie on my back it doesn't happen. I do sometimes have slight pain or more of discomfort in middle of back but not always.
If I awake during the night and need to get up my right arm feels really weak and I have to say now during the day my right arm feels weaker than my left.
Sometimes I get a bad headache on right temple and base of skull ( top of neck)
I'm assuming it's a neurological problem due to electric shock symptoms and head rocking.
I have had blood tests and all fine plus chest xray which was clear.
I'd appreciate any ideas
Sonya
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 2 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

The ringing in your ear is called tinnitus. There are manes causes of tinnitus, like inner ear disorder and that can be one reason that when you get head nodding also called a tic it may aggravate more.

healthydoc :

Anxiety can cause both head tic and tinnitus.

healthydoc :

Regarding the second symptoms, the tingling and numbness associated with pain in hands can be due to nerve compression in your neck. This is the reason that you feel no symptoms in certain positions as in this positions the compression of the nerve is not the severe.

healthydoc :

You clearly have muscle tension in your neck which is causing this compression of the nerve and electric shock type headache where irritation of C2 NERVE can lead to such headaches.

healthydoc :

I would suggest to see an ENT doctor and a neurologist who can order MRI of your neck to evaluate further.

healthydoc :

A neurologist can also evaluate if you have a Essential tremor which is causing such head rocking. Anxiety can also exhibit such head nodding and tinnitus.

healthydoc :

Medicaiton like lyrica can help with such pain and tingling.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: I do suffer from degenerated disc in my lower back which causes sciatica and I'm wondering if this is also what is causing my hand and arm problems could it be a disc problem in my upper spine? My neck does click and cruch when I turn it and it's not that flexible when turning to face left?
healthydoc :

Yes it can be due to nerve compression in your cervical spine.

healthydoc :

I would suggest to get MRI of your cervical spine.

Customer: And a compressed nerve would give me a weak feeling in my arm?
healthydoc :

yes as nerve controls the muscle activity and if nerve is compressed muscles get weak leading to muscle weakness.

Customer: Thank you very much I will now visit GP to be referred
healthydoc :

you're welcome. I wish you the best.

healthydoc :

Please rate my answer positively if you have no further questions. Thank you.

healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified U.S. Neurologist