tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified in Critical Care Medicine
18722459

Dear sir/madam i kindly request to allow me to benefit from

Customer Question

Dear sir/madam i kindly request to allow me to benefit from your knowledge, and my question is as below;

for the last 18 years i had pain and tight muscles in the back of my head, throat and shoulders, also i have stiff legs mostly when i rotate or shake my head, i remember first time this problem started in the back of the head (two bony knobs behind the ears), then it spread to the throat, neck, shoulders and the legs, overtime my neck became bit weak to the extent that when i am reading i have to put my hand on my cheek to support my neck otherwise it shakes, too much mucus gatheriing at back of my throat and overtime it gets dried up and lodged in my throat resulting in unbearably bad smell from nose and mouth, also my throat cartiledge makes lot of noise as i swallow my saliva, this problem restricted the movement of my neck for example, when i am reversing car it is difficult to look over my shoulder as i feel something sharp stuck below my ear, i very often have burning sensation at back of my neck and shoulders as though someone is holding fire very close to my body, when i wake up in the morning i feel severe itching in my chest and throat and i scratch a lot.

I am 47 years old man in the past i had bad digestion problem and hiatel hernia, and two years ago i had my gallbladder removed,at present my digestion problem is not as bad as before, about three years ago i had mri of the neck and i was told the result is normal.

I don't have good writing skills but i hope the doctor will understand what i wrote, I forgot to mention that i feel sometimes very dizzy and fear of falling down.

Many thanks and Regards

Your's faithfully Ahmed Hassan [email protected] [email protected]
Category: Neurology
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ahmed--I understood you perfectly but may I ask what tests you've had to get at the cause of these symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you doctor Chip

I had mri of neck cervex and they said the result was normal, i also hdmany endoscopy in my upper stomach for digestion problems, i don't know if that is relevant to my neurology question. i would like to add i pain on the abdomen just few inches from my belly botton (left side) this pain has been there as long as i can remember some times it is severe and sometimes it is mild, some time it goes away but if i push on the area it is tender and it is definitely connected to my headd aand throat problem because if i tighten my neck and throat muscles by pushing my head backward (looking at the ceiling), i immediately feel pulling muscle in my abdomen and kind of electric sensation spreads to my groins, testicle sack and inner tighs. i had ct scan of bowel, ulterasound, and endoscopy via my back passage and results were normal, and that made me think that this pain is not deep in the bowel but it is in the nerves and muscles just under the skin.
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
What about an MRI of your brain and the rest of your spine besides your neck Ahmed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
none
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
OK Ahmed and we can continue after this. I asked about the brain MRI just because multiple sclerosis might be in play here but with all this going on for so many years that would be very unlikely. This sounds as though you have a spinal problem below the neck and it's likely a disk problem in your thoracic spine and perhaps also in you lumbar spine. It could be rupture disks or it could be severe arthritis but I think nerve roots are being compressed here. I'd get an MRI of your thoracic and lumbar spines and then I would refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized physical therapy program that will likely relieve you of all your symptoms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you doctor Chip for your valueble answer, it is highly likely my problem is coming from my spine as there is one particular spot which aches a lot and even when i swallow food i feel pressure in that area, that spot is in my upper back exactly between shoulders, so doctor i would like to know, can the problem in my back cause pain in my neck and dizzyness in my head? many thanks
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Ahmed--any time and let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes doctor Tazechip, did you understand my question
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Ahmed. Yes it can cause both the dizziness and the neck pain. You probably have at the least a high thoracic disk problem and that can cause those symptoms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you doctor i will look for scan
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Take care