healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

My 1.5 year old son was discharged from the ICU a week before,

My 1.5 year old son was discharged from the ICU a week before, me and his mom took him to the emergency cause he suddenly got very weak and he passed out 90%
At the ICU they gave him diazepam and his breathing started going very bad and his lungs where filled with fluid and his glucose and lft where very high, we can discuss this in more detail.

The question is does my son get seizures or whats happening to him, when he was 4 month his right eye started twitching for 30 seconds and it came every month one time till he was 9 months then it disappeared then we started realizing that he started making strange movements with his legs and hands.

If we could talk further i will tell you everything in detail to date but from when he was 4 months till now hes not feeling good at all
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Did your son under go an EEG?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it was normal

Customer:

i did it twice

healthydoc :

How long was the EEG? If it was less than 24 hours that is commonly not sufficient.

healthydoc :

especially in infants

Customer:

it was for one and a half hour only

Customer:

so you mean i must do the video eeg?

healthydoc :

When a routine EEG is normal and a child is displaying activity that is suspicious for seizures, the prolonged EEG with video is the right thing to do.

healthydoc :

This EEG may last several days and would require inpatient admission

healthydoc :

It would be helpful if you are able sleep deprive the infant by playing with him over night and preventing the baby from falling asleep. Sleep deprivation can trigger seizure activity and therefore would make it easier to catch on EEG.

Customer:

when we left the ICU his neuro put him on keppra

Customer:

but im not sure if they are doing the right thing

healthydoc :

Keppra is an anti-seizure medication and will help prevent seizure activity. If you are still noticing the twitching despite giving him Keppra, then you need to speak his doctor. I think it is important however to determine the type and location of the seizures. As such a prolonged EEG is a good idea.

Customer:

the twitching stopped when he was one year, but after that he had like a fibrel convulsion

Customer:

twice witch let him go int icu

Customer:

both are without fever

Customer:

fever showed up the next day

healthydoc :

Febrile seizure is not necessarily an epileptiform seizure. However a febrile seizure does increase the likelihood of epileptic seizures later in life.

healthydoc :

It's good that the Keppra is working, however if you want to clarify what is going on a prolonged EEG is indicated since a routine EEG was normal.

Customer:

the problem is he goes crazy with these wires in his head

Customer:

plus he is already trified from doctors

Customer:

he can even see them

Customer:

cant*

healthydoc :

You may need to give him some time and then try it after a few months. As long as the Keppra is helping it should be ok if you delay for now.

Customer:

i see

Customer:

but i releazid when giving him keppra every time one hour before his second does he gets very weak and cant even put his head up

Customer:

also whenever someone passes from behind of him he screams and gets scared

Customer:

and cries

Customer:

he no comfortable at all

Customer:

hes very ancious

healthydoc :

Most seizure meds will cause sleepiness and so this is expected. I think the fact that he gets startled easily can be disturbing as a parent, however it is not something that you need to worry about. You will have to do some trust building with him and try to make him as comfortable as possible. SInce he has been around physicians he may be feeling more anxiety when he is around strangers. Over some time you should see this improve.

Customer:

i see what you mean

Customer:

so you recomment prolonged eeg in the future

healthydoc :

Yes. When in a few months I would try again to determine if he is truly having seizures. This will make it easier to take him off medications if he is not having seizures.

Customer:

how much time does the keppra need to get stable in his body?

Customer:

and side effects go away

healthydoc :

Keppra is a medicine that starts working almost immediately after the loading dose. Fortunately Keppra does not have any major side effects. Among anti-seizure meds, it is one of those with the least side effects. Once Keppra is stopped, side effects should subside within 6 hours.

healthydoc :

correction 6-12 hours

Customer:

i did an mri also

Customer:

they said he has a little delay in white matter? does the seizures cause this if he had it when he was 4 months?

Customer:

till this date

healthydoc :

The brain continues to develop after birth as such there are often regions in the brain that have not fully developed, this can lead to seizure activity. It may worthwhile to repeat this after one year to ensure that everything has normalized.

Customer:

i ee

Customer:

see

Customer:

where is the best place to take him in europe regarding his case?

Customer:

or uk?

healthydoc :

UK is a good place. UCL Institute for Neurology.

Customer:

thank you very much doctor for the info

healthydoc :

You're welcome. I hope that your son feels better.

Customer:

hope so too

healthydoc :

If you have no further questions, please rate our chat positively. Thanks!

Customer:

will do thanks !