Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

(Behaviour Neurology) What is wrong with my brain if its not

Customer Question

(Behaviour Neurology) What is wrong with my brain if it's not an issue of low IQ?

I'm a 24 year old male who struggles massively both in daily life and in the work environment. I see a psychologist regularly and her diagnosis for me is 'social anxiety disorder' and she administered an IQ test which I scored 92 when tired, which she considers enough evidence to suggest the issue is not intelligence but I am not convinced. She has threatened to cut the service if I won't accept her view that its a psychological disorder. I feel there are issues with my cognition that cannot be justified by social anxiety:

I've always been in the bottom classes throughout schooling and my dad nearly disowned me for not being able to read the word 'the' at 5-7 years old. He punched me heavily in the head several times and I was taken to get a brain scan and the doctor reluctantly told me things looked okay. Throughout school I learned through a process of repetition but somehow managed BBB at A-level in Business, French, ICT. Now, at 24, I think I have forgotten everything I learned from back in school, including the french language. I can't commit anything to memory for any length of time. I think very slowly and my train of thought is often interrupted. It takes a few seconds to get back on track at times. I always feel tired and it takes me several hours to wake up. I scored highly in verbal reasoning on the IQ test but I cannot express myself vocally. I think its these problems which are causing the social anxiety. When I am around others, even my family, they talk about things and nothing comes to mind. They complain that I ask a lot of stupid questions and most end up disliking me.

What I really want to know is if I am wasting my time with psychology and whether I am likely brain damaged or have a neurological condition. And whether the issues I experience with cognition can be improved upon or not?
Category: Neurology