healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I have had epilepsy for a little over ten years controlled

Customer Question

I have had epilepsy for a little over ten years controlled by meds. Tegretol 400mg twice a day. With a few petty mal episodes. But about three hours ago today some thing what seemed to be another petty mal episode. I had all the warning signs so walked in to the bathroom to the sink to wet my face to help stop it going further. But fell before there feeling week the epilepsy attack. I was aware and felt ill of what was happening similar to past episodes.my friend was there at the time thankfully. She described how was being sick during and looked semi unconscious. It was clear fluid.

It took a while to get my energy back together with a dropped body temperature I and faster than normal heart beat. It has settled down now. Bearing in mind that had three and a half hours sleep last night. A trigger for an episode is tiredness and dehydration. I didn't drink much fluids today. The clear fluid being sick what can this mean?. Is this just epilepsy that happened. And that need to take more care with myself.

What can I do to getup things on track?. Do I need a medication review?. But am afraid that the higher doses needed will make me more unwell. Having more frequent epilepsy attacks. Is this true?.

I want to run it pass you to try and conclude for me. I have never seen neurology outpatient before. What is the rest time would you suggest to fully be feeling back to normal?.

Dominique.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Clear fluid was coming out from nose?

Customer: It was out of my mouth as friend said that was reeching as being sick along side. But I have no recollection of this myself.
healthydoc :

okay. The clear liquid or fluid that you have ,mentioned can be saliva which would occur when one has a seizure activity.

healthydoc :

So I would suggest to have EEG to evaluate further. Moreover was you had lack of sleep which is a major trigger of a seizure activity.

healthydoc :

So if you get evaluated that you had a seizure activity than yes you may need higher dosage of the medication or change the medication which can help prevent seizure activity.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer:

I know tiredness is a trigger but not a big trigger. I will now be taking care more and look into your advice. Thank you for helping. Bye.

healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
You're welcome. It is the lack of sleep which is the biggest trigger for a seizure activity.