healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

Today my 17wk old baby seemed to have sever colic pain. He

Customer Question

Today my 17wk old baby seemed to have sever colic pain. He was crying and pulling his legs up towards his mouth, I lay him on his play mat to see if he could get rid of the wind himself. Then he lay to one side, bending backwards with his feet going towards his head, his eyes were open but rolled back as if to be looking up to the ceiling. I tried to get his attention and get him to focus on my but he wouldn't. This lasted about 1min and when he came round he was fine but tired and fell asleep. It happened again a few hours later and thankfully my mum seen it that time. He had no fever but did seen to have abdominal/colic pain again and slept for 3hrs after it. I am going to video it if it happens again but wanted to ask you...... Does this seem like a seizure even tho he had no temperature?? I Adlai have 2 other kids..... One diagnosed with aspergers and selective mutism, the other with autism, sever learning disability and they say he def has another syndrome but they have no name for it as yet!

Thanks in advance
Tina
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

yes it is possible that your baby had a seizures. Though febrile seizures are common in infants but they can also have seizures without fever.

healthydoc :

The common sign of a seizure is jerking and eyes rolling back or starry spells. Moreover you have mentioned that baby was tired and fell asleep right after this activity. This is also a common sign of after seizure activity.

healthydoc :

I would suggest to see the pediatric neurologist who can order EEG or 24 hour video EEG to evaluate further.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-e4pl3q8h- : Thank you for your reply.
JACUSTOMER-e4pl3q8h- : i was wondering is it possible to have a seizure due to pain? He has started to show signs of colic the last few days but today he seemed to be in a lot more pain than usual!
healthydoc :

You're welcome. No it is not likely due to pain. But when one is in stress it can certainly trigger so pain can be an indirect trigger to this seizure.

JACUSTOMER-e4pl3q8h- : Thank you again for ur reply!! I am taking him to my gp this morning. Hoping that this isn't the start of years of appointment after appointment again like the other 2. Obviously myself and my husband must be carrying a gene when all 3 of our children have similar problems.
JACUSTOMER-e4pl3q8h- : Kind regards,
JACUSTOMER-e4pl3q8h- : Tina Clarke
healthydoc :

You're welcome. I wish you the best.

healthydoc :

Please rate my answer positively if you have ni further questions, Thank you.