Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Today, I was washing up and found I could not place spoons

Customer Question

Today, I was washing up and found I could not place spoons etc. in the correct area.
I had no control over the movement. Took about a minute to clear up.
What is this indicative of ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bob :

Hello. There are several possibilities here. Do you remember experiencing any headache at the time? How about weakness or numbness anywhere in the body or face?

JACUSTOMER-0fia1bvl- :

Same thing happened two weeks ago. A disconnection between my fingers and my mind. No headaches or numbness.

JACUSTOMER-0fia1bvl- :

Sorry it is rather vague.

Dr. Bob :

Hi there. Sorry I missed you. Do you have any risk factors for cerebrovascular disease, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking, high cholesterol?

Dr. Bob :

These episodes could represent TIAs (transient ischemic attacks) which are like little strokes that do not complete. I would suggest you get a thorough neurological exam and an MRI of the brain.

Dr. Bob :

Many individuals with risk factors benefit from taking a baby aspirin daily to keep the blood thin and moving through the tiny blood vessels of the brain. Ask your doctor about this as a preventive measure.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Martin.

Please check in with your doctor to make sure you are not having TIAs. These are sometimes warning signs of a stroke waiting to happen. Things can be done now to reduce your chances of having a stroke, including going on an aspirin every day if you are not already taking one and you tolerate it. There are other measures that might need to be taken as well.

Let me know if you have any additional information or questions you would like to go over.

Best wishes.
Doctor-Bob