Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Hi I m MK Jamali 38, from Pakistan I have pain on my backbone

Hi I m MK Jamali 38, from Pakistan I have pain on my backbone since last 2 years. Initially I was consulting with orthopaedic doctors they were giving some medicines and advice of excercises. May times this happen. I eat madicines and pain decreased. After 2-3 months the pain again raise, thi time I consult with a neurologist he asked for MRI the result shows that:
Loss of lumbar lordosis due to muscle spasm
Disc dessication is seen at L4/5 and L5/S1 level
L4/5 shows mild defuse disc bulge with facet osteo arthropathy and central annular Tera causing mild thecal pressure and bilateral foraminal narrowing
L5/S1 shows mild diffuse disc bulge with Central disc protrusion and facet osteo arthropathy causing mild pressure over theca and mild bilateral foraminal narrowing

Now days I m taking some medicines and physiotherapy , plz advice me is it the right treatment how can I get rid of this back pain.
[email protected]
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Bob :

Hello. You have fairly significant degenerative disease of your lower spine according to this report. This is usually seen later in life than 38 so it makes me wonder if you have a history of heavy labor or high level athletics.

Dr. Bob :

Either way, the approach you are taking is reasonable. In many cases, the amount of pain one has does not correlate well with the amount of degenerative changes. We have learned that in many cases as well, conservative treatment such as PT and pain meds and good back mechanics slowly lead to improvement, even without surgery.

Dr. Bob :

This course can take years, of course, and can only occur if further stressors on the spine are avoided. Some individuals repsond well to epidural injections in which a powerful anti-inflamatory in injected into the "hot spots" of the lower back. If well done, this can often provide many months of excellent pain relief...though it does nothing to address the underlying disease process.

Dr. Bob :

In cases where conservative treatment fails and symptoms progress, lumbar surgery (e.g. laminectomy and/or fusion) is often very helpful and the only possible "fix" longterm. A neurosurgeon can discuss this with you now so you have a better idea of what options you might realistically have down the road.

Dr. Bob :

Please let me know if you have any further information or questions you would like to go over.

Dr. Bob :

Regards.

Customer:

hi sir

Customer:

i dont know wethher its was clear way to sate my position and report or not

Customer:

i have the original images of my MRI in efilm and pic formate

Customer:

should i send you those for a clear pic and to see the severity of my problem

Customer:

if you send me email address i can send you the images of MRI

Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience