Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have started getting balance problems and dizziness

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Bob :

How long have you been having problems with your balance? Have you had any falls?

Dr. Bob :

Are you there?

Customer:

Problems for three months and have almost fallen on several occasions.

Dr. Bob :

Balance is a very complicated process.

Customer:

Have just been refered to a balance clinic at hospital.

Dr. Bob :

It requires good information from the eyes, the ears, and the feet.

Dr. Bob :

Have you had your eyes and ears checked?

Customer:

No but i do have hearing aids and wear glasses.I do have problems with nerve damage due to Diabetes affecting

Customer:

legs and feet

Dr. Bob :

That was my next question. :-)

Dr. Bob :

A peripheral neuropathy (diabetes being the most common cause) can really wreak havoc with the balance mechanisms we have in place.

Dr. Bob :

That said, it doesn't change overnight and can only be managed. You are likely interested in knowing if there are other factors at play that can be fixed or managed.

Dr. Bob :

I would suggest, for example, that you see an ENT specialist, and get an MRI of the brain if he or she agrees.

Customer:

I wondered if it could be something more serious.Perhaps i should leave things now until i have been to the balance group.

Dr. Bob :

If you feel this problem has gotten worse recently, you should be more aggressive about finding out what may be causing or contributing to it.

Dr. Bob :

Having your vestibular system checked by an ENT would be a good start. Having an MRI would be a good next step.

Dr. Bob :

Finally, seeing a neurologist to make sure it is not a progressive neurological condition would be a good idea, in my opinion.

Customer:

I will leave things now thanks for your help i assume no more money will be taken from my card.

Dr. Bob :

Your GP should be willing to coordinate this for you.

Dr. Bob :

I don't think anything more will be charged. If you are concerned about this, check with customer service. They are very good at helping customers.

Customer:

My GP will refer me to a neurologist when i see what the clinic has to say.

Dr. Bob :

Sounds good. Keeping asking questions...and keep learning as much as you can...knowledge is power. :-)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not wish to take things any further and would appreciate you

cancelling any payment plan.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Please contact customer service about this.