Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

I have seen several neurologists. The last one signed me off

Customer Question

I have seen several neurologists. The last one signed me off and said I did not have a neurological condition. An MRI taken in 2010 showed minor asymmetry and prominence of the sulci and cortical volume loss, particularly in the left peri rolandic and parietal regions of uncertain significance. The last neurologist I saw said the atrophy had not changed and laughed and said I could have had it all of my life.
My symptoms are tremor in my head and limbs. Feeling of blood rushing into my head and hearing my heart beat in my ears. Sensation all over my skull and across my face. My walk is very unsteady and I quite often lose my balance. A new symptom is slight pins and needles sensation in my hands, arms and lower legs.
My last MRI or CT showed slight small vessel disease and the neurologist said it was of little significance. My GP says the small vessel disease would cause the feelings in my head and balance problems. I feel I am being fobbed off and cannot lead a normal life. Getting quite desperate. Would also like to see another neurologist but I feel I have run out of referrals from my GP, perhaps it is because I am nearly 71 years of age and I have to get on with it. I do smoke but do not drink and my cholesterol is 4.4. I feel that this terrible feeling in my head could be something else. I have asked for scan of carotid artery and was told it was not necessary. I also suggested that perhaps it is vascular and I am not getting the right blood flow to my brain. The GP took my oxygen levels and said they were good. So I am at a loss what to do or who to ask for help. Can you help. Regards Gill
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Was essential tremor mentioned?
Parkinson's?