Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Hello, I was wondering whether you can help me find an answer.

Customer Question

Hello, I was wondering whether you can help me find an answer. Last Thursday I had a severe headache, which is not uncommon for me (I usually have a severe headache/migraine 3-4 times a month). This time it got extremely bad, where my vision was affected and I felt nauseous. Since Thursday (so for 4 days now), I have a dull feeling on the right side of my head (above the ear and going towards the front of the head) - it feels as if someone is putting pressure on that side and at time it goes numb. I have no other symptoms. I tried pain killers, but they do not seem to help. I also feel I have some sort of pressure on the right eye, or just under the eye.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Bob :

Was the headache on Thursday on the same side of the head? Is there any tenderness when you touch the side of the head?

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

It was on the same side of the head. It was very very tender on Thursday (during the headache), now I think the tenderness is mostly gone. I would say where it was 10 out of 10 on Thursday, now the tenderness is probably 1 out of 10

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

also, if I touch that side of the head with my hand I would get lingering tenderness

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

I hope that makes sense. I am trying to describe it as close as I feel it

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

Not sure if the answer has gone through.

Dr. Bob :

Got it!

Dr. Bob :

What is your age?

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

33

Dr. Bob :

That would be a little young for temporal arteritis. ..though it should be a consideration.

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

I also should mention that for about 2 years now I have had a pain in my neck. It is not relieved by massage or anything. Not sure if it is related but I wanted to point out

Dr. Bob :

Are you pretty healthy otherwise?

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

yes, other than this yes

Dr. Bob :

Some neck conditions can migrate into the muscles of the head and trigger migraines or tension headaches.

Dr. Bob :

You might also consider that migraines and other headache syndromes with facial pain typically involve the trigeminal nerve, which can be very painful and lingering.

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

do you think I should go see a doctor urgently or just wait and see how it goes

Dr. Bob :

These headaches are often managed with preventative medications.

Dr. Bob :

The main risk with temporal arteritis is vision loss on the affected side, so seeing an eye doctor would be a helpful precaution.

Dr. Bob :

Otherwise, if you are feeling better overall, you could make a follow up appointment with your GP or a neurologist to manage your neck pain and headache syndrome.

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

thank you.

Dr. Bob :

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

I guess I was just worried that because it was going numb that I would be loosing cells or something

Dr. Bob :

No, though that would suggest nerve irritation. This is usually very temporary. :-)

JACUSTOMER-cidc7v81- :

understood. Thank you for your help

Dr. Bob :

Follow up anytime.

Dr. Bob :

Did you have any further questions?

Dr. Bob :

If not, please remember to provide a rating so we know how we did! Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello. You seemed appreciative of my assistance, but I did not receive a positive rating. Please keep in mind that this is the only way experts get paid and the only way justanswer.com can assess the good faith of its customers.
Thanks much,
Doctor-Bob