KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

I have been suffering with extreme head pressure over the last

I have been suffering with extreme head pressure over the last few months not only headaches but as though someone was trying to squeeze my skull . ,I have also had these other symptoms . I have numbness in my left leg and arm ,tingling face and lips .I have also suffered from continual vertigo and dizziness for years .I caught a glimpse of the scan and saw loads of lesions ,could this be MS .What would the next steps be .
Category: Neurology
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Thank you very much for your question.

I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S. I will be happy to help.

Given the fact that you have the symptoms of numbness and tingling on your left side, vertigo, and many lesions on a brain MRI, certainly MS would be a possibility. However, there are other conditions that can also produce neurological symptoms and lesions on an MRI, which could include small strokes, infectious disorders, and other autoimmune diseases, to name a few. Hypertension if uncontrolled can also produce brain lesions that may accumulate over time.

The point here is that you definitely will need further workup by a neurologist to figure out exactly what is going on, and to determine the best treatment for you.

If the diagnosis does end up being MS, there are currently about 8 or 9 FDA approved therapies to slow the progression and lessen relapses that occur in this disorder, and therefore it becomes essential to establish a diagnosis if possible.

The next step in evaluation likely would be more blood work to rule out various causes for such lesions, as well as possibly an MRI of the Neck portion of the spine (Cervical Spine), and possibly even a lumbar puncture or spinal tap to analyze the fluid from the spinal canal.

I would strongly encourage following up with a neurologist to get the proper treatment. Best of luck.

KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.