KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

I've struggled with headaches and migraines for 8 years now

I've struggled with headaches and migraines for 8 years now and have tried all tablets given by doctors. I have recently had a headache and few migraines for 3 weeks straight with numbness in my left arm. I've already been through what not to eat and drink. I go numb all down the left side and am constantly feeling tired. I've recently also had problems with periods and have terrible pains in my lower abdomen. I have the implant and that seemed to help my migraines for the first few years. But it must be causing worse issues with my periods? I would like to know if I should have had a scan for my head and other tests as it's becoming worse.
Gemma
Category: Neurology
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 2 years ago.

Hi Gemma. Thanks for your question.

I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S. I will be happy to help.

If you are developing numbness on the left side with the constant headaches, and if the numbness symptoms have never been evaluated with an imaging study, then I would definitely advise talking to a doctor, preferably a neurologist in the very near future about having a Brain MRI done if possible. It will be important to rule out any structural problem with the brain, including inflammation, scarring, tumors, strokes, etc.

It is very possible that the numbness may be due to what is called a complex or complicated migraine, which is not usually a dangerous condition and will not generally cause permanent neurological symptoms. But until a brain scan is performed, and a proper history and examination is done, this cannot be ruled out entirely. Your next step should be to see a neurologist if possible in a prompt fashion, and this doctor should be able to guide you in the right direction including probably getting a brain scan. Best wishes.