Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

My daughter (26 years old) has been in pain for almost 2 years

Customer Question

My daughter (26 years old) has been in pain for almost 2 years now, following numerous scans and visits to a private dr who thought there may have been a problem with her sacrililic (excuse spelling) joint recommended physiotherapy, this did not help much, she has since had numerous sessions with an osteopath without any relief, some days she is mobile and is able to control the pain, at the moment she needs help dressing and is in constant pain although she is on strong pain killers. She has a personal trainer follwing adise anto build up muscles, now he thinks, along with her GP that the issue may be nerve related, so is a neurologist the next step?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Bob :

How did her sacroiliac joints look on CT?

JACUSTOMER-hlu52tcc- :

It looked normal.

JACUSTOMER-hlu52tcc- :

The Orthopedic physician did mention she had hyper-mobility, not sure if this is relevant. He couldnt find anything amiss with her scans

JACUSTOMER-hlu52tcc- :

I should mention, the pain is in the left hand side around her hip and sometimes travels down towards her ankle.

JACUSTOMER-hlu52tcc- :

Also, the orthopedic specialist suggested she tried a steroid injection into the joint, he didnt hold out much hope of this working and it didnt help

JACUSTOMER-hlu52tcc- :

She is getting very down about it all now as it is getting worse, not better and is extremely frustrated and anxious, she feels she can not go on and no one is able to help her. I am happy to get private help for her, but we just dont know where to turn now. any suggestions, please.

Dr. Bob :

That description would suggest a possible nerve problem, possibly a radiculitis involving a nerve root in the back near the spine, or a neuritis somewhere along the path of the nerve.

Dr. Bob :

I would suggest you get nerve conduction studies (NCV and EMG) and make an appointment with a neurologist.

JACUSTOMER-hlu52tcc- :

Thank you, ***** ***** make an appointment with a neurologist, what treatment could be avilable if radiculitus is confirmed

Dr. Bob :

If there is a pinched nerve in the back, an epidural injection or surgical decompression might be needed. If it is a neuritis, you might need the NCV test to find where the problem is coming from (along the path of the nerve) and how severe the damage is. This will guide treatment.

Dr. Bob :

In the meantime, ask her doctors about a medication called gabapentin. This is commonly used for chronic, nerve related pain and can be quite effective at calming the affected nerves.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.