Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

Are there any neurosurgeons, specialising in cervical radiculopathy,

Customer Question

Are there any neurosurgeons, specialising in cervical radiculopathy, that would be able to answer my questions below?
I have suffered with chronic neck pain for over 10 years, during which time the pain has gradually worsened. It is very sore and has stopped me from working in recent years. The pain is present all the time, but is worsened severely by certain activities and postures.
The main underlying problem is that I have a bulging disc at C3/4 which is restricting the left foramen and compressing the exiting nerve root. As well as the pain in the core of my neck, this also causes referred pain in the scalenes and trapezius on that side, which can be felt as tight, tender trigger points within the effected muscles. This, I am lead to believe, is precisely how compression of the C4 nerve root would behave. That is to say I have pain as described, but no sensory or motor deficit.
I have two questions for you:
a) Is pain referred to the muscles normally delayed following increased compression/ irritation of the nerve root? It seems to be the case with me. Increased pain is observed roughly half a day following activities/ postures that close the foramen further and therefore increase nerve root compression.
b) Is it the actual pressure on a nerve root or the pain felt by the nerve root that causes referred pain elsewhere? I had an epidural injection that relieved the pain felt in the core of my neck, but the muscles further away from the source still felt tight, tender and sore.
Many thanks, Pete
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
In order to answer this effectively, please give me your most recent MRI report results, particularly the impression section
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't wish to cause any offence, but was really hoping to have my questions answered by a neurosurgeon specialising in cervical radiculopathy.

There is no such thing in the first place.
I am not sure where you are getting this idea.
In addition, given your current situation, I don't think there is an indication for a surgeon....I have run centers for this condition.
Do you even have an MRI? What findings and when?
EMG? what findings and when.
There is no neurosurgeon on line here at the moment.