Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I had a head injury 13 years ago and immediately reported

Customer Question

I live in the UK. I had a head injury 13 years ago and immediately reported fluid going down my throat. It was dismissed at the time. Poor health, fatigue, dizziness persisted so I was unable to work. I was diagnosed last year with a sizable CSF leak somewhere in my system by a specialist clinic using cisternography and radiation techniques over a period of two days. CSF is mixing directly with the blood stream. A specialist has noted my balance difficulties, my brain has dropped within the skull and the dura mater has thickened considerably. He suspected CSF otorrhea after the balance results but maybe broken dura mater. Now, doctors aren't willing to go further because no CSF fluid has been identified in my nose - yet; flow is now intermittent and goes straight down throat. What can I do to further identify where the leak is and what, if anything can be done? The diagnosis of CSF was made in the Sanno hospital in Tokyo. Doctors are unwilling to make intrusive investigations but I'd be willing. Who can help?

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have you had a CAT scan of the base of the skull to help identify the leak?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had many scans but only the drop has been identified and fluid/polyps in the maxillary sinus. I don't think an exclusive scan of the base was made. I am now in the position of having no consultants and come to a dead end. I want someone to find out what is wrong, invasively if necessary, based on the evidence already collected. At the moment, I don't think I can even get another scan easily.

The fluid was dripping continuously for the first few years; now it is occasional and much lighter, but always feel like there is fluid moving around in the head.

you can get a scan of the base of the skull to be 100% sure.
I noticed that our chat is not complete.
My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.