Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

, My right and thumb has been twitching contiguously since

Hi, My right and thumb has been twitching contiguously since Friday, and I am now concerned that I could be a symptom of a neurological condition.
I have two uncles with Parkinson's so that is a concern
What could this be, and how can I treat it?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Bob :

Twitching of a muscle or muscles is what we call "fasciculations". They are quite common among otherwise healthy individuals.

Dr. Bob :

They are not a classic feature of Parkinsons (PD) You might be thinking of tremors, which are more rhythmic and pronounced movements, and ate common in PD.

Dr. Bob :

You are also too young to be worried about PD and motor neuron diseases. :-)

Dr. Bob :

Fasciculations are typically associated with stress, fatigue, anxiety, poor sleep and sometimes too much caffeine.

Dr. Bob :

They usually resolve within a few days to weeks, though often recur in other places if the underlying stress or fatigue, etc, are not adequately addressed.

Customer:

However this twitch is constant and been going on for around 5 days and showing no signs of resolving. It occurs when my hand is at rest.

Customer:

How long do you believe this twitching will continue?

Dr. Bob :

Days to weeks. It's a sign of neuromuscular irritability in that particular motor unit....sometimes roveruse or strain.

Dr. Bob :

Sometimes triggered by overuse or strain.

Dr. Bob :

The hands, legs and face (e.g the eyelids) are the most common sites.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the twitching still hasn't resolved and happens when my thumb is relaxed.

Can you please advise me on how long I should give it before I visit a GP? Its been 7 days so far.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jimmy. This is common, and can go on for several weeks at a time. If you are otherwise healthy, this would be a reasonable amount of time. Be sure to reduce stress as much as possible and get lots of good sleep at night. If things worsen in the meantime, you should be evaluated by your doctor.