Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have recently had an MRI due to severe head pain

I have recently had an MRI due to severe head pain for 6 weeks. I received the results today and they show that i have a prominent vein over the splenium of corpus callosum.
The dr has booked me in for an MRV scan of my veins on Monday and naturally i am concerned.
Please could you kindly inform me of your view on what this prominent vein is, how it would ocur and what it means moving forward for me?
Also the DR has advised me not to fly until the head pains have been resolved, why would this be?
Mr McCarthy ***@******.*** ***********
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Do you have the full report from the radiologist? A 'prominent vein" needs to be interpreted within the context of the entire MRI as well as the clinical history.
It is possible that this is what we call an "incidental finding" meaning it has been there a long time (possibly congenital) and does not explain the symptoms for which the scan was performed. The MRV will "light up" the circulatory system of the brain and provide further information about whether this is something to be worried about or not.
Your doctors may be concerned that this is an AVM. An AVM (arteriovenous malformation) is a tangle of abnormal blood vessels connecting arteries and veins in the brain. Because the high pressure blood in the arteries of an AVM mingles with blood in the normally low-pressure veins, those veins can become distended and more prominent than usual. Headaches and seizures can sometimes result.
An AVM can develop anywhere in the body but occurs most often in the brain or spine. Even so, brain AVMs are rare and affect less than 1 percent of the population. The cause is not known in most cases. Most people are born with them, but they can occasionally form later in life.
Depending on their size and location, they can rupture, sometimes with very serious consequences. Your doctors might want to rule this out before you subject yourself to the pressure changes (and theoretic risk) of airplane travel.
It sounds like they are exercising "an abundance of caution" to keep you safe until they have a more definitive diagnosis.
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Barry. Did you have any additional questions? Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further.