tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified in Critical Care Medicine
18722459

HiI have a 4year old son who was born at 26 weeks. He was

Customer Question

I have a 4year old son who was born at 26 weeks. He was in the hospital for 6 months with mainly bowel problems, but he also had a haemorrhage on his brain. I lost all my water at 12 weeks so he was very restricted in the womb.
He had physiotherapy for the first 2.5 years until he could walk and he has done very well.
One of his legs is shorter and the knee is deformed, which creates a limp when he runs. The occupational therapist at school has asked us to get a scan of his brain to determined what sort of help he might need. She is questioning slight spasticity in his hands, but would a scan really show these sort of refined areas? He is very bright and doesn't appear to have any major problems as yet.
What i would like to know is would a MRI scan show if the problem with his leg is coming from his brain , i.e. cerebral palsy or maybe it was because he was restricted in the womb?
I don't want to have a cat scan due to the excessive amount of radiation he already has had and I will only consider a MRI if it can be detailed enough to show us the parts of the brain which are causing problems in him now. (an ultrasound did show scars on his brain at 3 months).
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 year ago.
Hi and sorry for the delay--yes an MRI with contrast would do just fine in this situation and actually would be more detailed than a ct scan and without any radiation problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. Would it actually show if the leg problem is associated with the brain? Would surgery on the leg make any difference if it is a brain problem?

Many Thanks

Expert:  tazechip replied 1 year ago.
The MRI would show if there's a problem in the brain causing the spasticity but the deformity of his leg and knee would not be from a brain problem and that may well need surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I came on here to specifically talk to a neurologist and I would like you to open my question up for other experts please.

Many Thanks

Expert:  tazechip replied 1 year ago.
I understand but your question is in the neurology section and the reason it was opened to me was because no neurologist picked up on it. Can I ask if there was any more information that I could provide you?