Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My daughter had a pain in top of left leg and lower back and

Customer Question

My daughter had a pain in top of left leg and lower back and could not weight bear on that leg . Following MRI bulging L5/S1 disc was presumed to be causing symptoms . Only after 1 week of paln Orthopaedic Surgeon gave a root nerve steroid injection on both sides of back . Following that she was paralysed in upper legs for several days , followed by excruciating
spasms of electric shock /stabbing pains in back for about an hour 4 times a day unresponsive to morphine /codine . After a week she managed to mobalise had two further
MRIs to rule out spinal cord involvement / progression of disc issue . she was put on Gabapentine . for 5 weeks she has been in pain on each step of walking and continues with several hour long spasms of pain down her legs lasting an hour where she is screaming in pain each day . she is due to have EMG / further MRI of spine /brain , but things are moving very slowly . woryingly over the last few days she has been getting similar spasms in her left hand . Any thoughts please ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your daughter

it is quite unusual for an 11 year old to have a slipped disk and nerve impingement at age 11.

it doesn't sound like the steroid injections worked.

her further MRI scans and EMG studies will help give more information.

I hope her MRI scans are being done with IV contrast and hopefully on a 3 tesla high resolution MRI scanner.

she might benefit from baclofen or ativan to help with muscle relaxation

she needs to get her magnesium levels checked to make sure they are normal.

she might even need a nerve or muscle biopsy to help

let me know if you have questions.