Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have had left shoulder arm and hand pain tingling and numbness

Customer Question

I have had left shoulder arm and hand pain tingling and numbness for over 14 months. I have been under the hospital and they dont seem to know what it is. They now say I need to be referred to a neurologist as it may be coming from my brain?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Have you had an MRI of your cervical spine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes and nothing was found.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest you have nerve conduction tests performed (i.e NCV and EMG) if you have not done so already. These tests will reveal if there is nerve damage in the arm and, if so, where the injury is coming from (e.g. neck, shoulder, arm) and how severe it is. They may also reveal if there is evidence of a peripheral neuropathy or other disorder that might begin to affect the other arm as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've had an EMG and was told it was within normal limits

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Have you had an MRI of the brain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other unusual symptoms such as headache, weakness, prbblems with your vision or balance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have weakness in my arm, I am unable to use my hand if i try to grip something I just drop it and I cant type using that hand any more. I have had periods of dizzy spells. what could this be?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
If the cervical MRI and EMG were both normal this would support the possibility of something in the brain, such as a small stroke or mass. Did the problem come on rather suddenly or did it come on slowly over months or years? A sudden onset would favor the latter, while a slower onset would favor the latter. Either way, a brain MRI is needed. In the meantime, you should be working with physical and occupational therapists to maintain function and improve functionality.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sue. I meant to say that a sudden onset would favor the former (i.e. stroke), not the latter. If you can get an MRI of the brain, this will help to rule out a cause in the central nervous system. See if you can arrange for this before you see the neurologist so you don't lose any more time.