tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified in Critical Care Medicine
18722459

I have been diagnosed with sporadic hemiplegic migraine

Customer Question

Hi i have been diagnosed with sporadic hemiplegic migraine December 2014 when I was admitted to hospital because i was experiencing double vision, fatigue, headaches on one side, blurred vision, moments of blindness. I also fell to my knees while experience distorted vision with my body shaking and it felt like inside was just one big pulse. They gave me a CT scan and a MRI which both came back clear and they said they were going to give me Spinal Tab which was overruled by another doctor. I was discharged with no diagnosis and then sent as an out patient for a full eye test and to the pots clinic. Whilst there the doctor sent me for a scan of the arteries in my neck were they found a 30% blockage on the right side. They sent me to a stroke specialist who said my brain scan was clear and diagnosed me with SHM. Months later I had what seemed like a absent seizure, my friend who witnessed it said it was like the lights were on but nobody was home, it lasted 4 minutes at the most and I came in and out of it three times within those 4 minutes. Every since last year my legs are getting progressively weaker and I find it hard at times to walk up the stairs. I also have burning sensation in my elbow and leg bones and at the times of each episode find it difficult to do the slightest of chores. I feel exhausted and even hovering a small hallway has left me feeling like I had to sit down on the floor. The headaches have subsided a lot but I am still experience the double vision and blurred vision. In the meantime I have been told I am post menopausal at 42 with my hormone levels at 122 FSH 18.4, my doctor said they are off the charts and this could be the reason for my neurological systems. Is it possible to get a clear MRI and CT and still have MS. I have asked my doctor to organise a second opinion with a alternative Neurologist but she said she can't and at this stage my legs feel so heavy all the time it actually feels like I'm constantly in pain. at times it is difficult for me to pick up a cup of tea without my knuckles hurting me. I suppose Im concerned because when I finally got an appointment with the neurologist I didn't even get to see him but only saw his understudy and she said I was diagnosed with a condition where if you stand up to quick your blood pressure drops and you feel a bit light headed. I felt insulted because this has been happening to me for years and it is nothing to the pain I am in constantly. I even had to tell her that the stroke specialist had diagnosed me with SHM because it had not been put on my file. Is it possible without a spinal tab done that I could have MS and it was missed on the MRI. Many Thanks
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi i have been diagnosed with sporadic...
21 October 2015 10:28
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi ShantalYes I would still like an answer to my question.Many Thanks
Ashling
Hello Ashling,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm a different expert and Doctor Norm has opted out. Have you had an MRI of your lower back and your pelvis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. ChipNo I haven't had anything but a CT or MRI of the skull with no contrast. I was admitted to hospital a second time and because I have been diagnosed with SHM they didn't do any further tests based on my previous diagnoses. Am I entitled to a second opinion. Is it possible that MS has been overlooked. These symptoms are debilitating and the neurologist just gave me a sleeping tablet and said she would see me next year for a follow up appointment. I am booked in for an EEG next month but unless their is any activity at the time it won't show up on that. Feeling so deflated with the whole situation.
Many Thanks
Ashling
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that should have read CT and and MRIApologies
Ashling
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Ashling
I don't think we're dealing with MS here.
But I would get an MRI of your lumbar spine since I think you have a disk problem there and you may also have what's called spinal stenosis--narrowing of the canal through which the spinal cord passes
Let me know if you need more information please