Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

Three days ago, out of the blue, I experienced severe

Customer Question

Three days ago, out of the blue, I experienced severe low back pain to the left of the body. The pain was very severe when lying down which made sleeping impossible, and getting up difficult, but improved markedly when sitting or was even better if standying up.
The GP gave me co-codamol tablets for 7 days, and said to call in if the tablets were not efficient after 2 days.
During the day (sitting, standing), with the co-codamol it is OK, but at night, the moment I lie down, the severe sharp pain returns and worsens over time.
The other noticeable thing is that it is now on the opposite side of my body! It now comes from the lower right back.
From the above, could you give me an indication of what's happening, and what I should do? I've been off work for the past 2 days and a half, due to the sleepiness from co-codamol.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you still having pain? Does it differ whether you are lying flat, on your left, or on your right? How far down the leg does it travel?