Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

This is concerning a nerve problem I have had

Customer Question

Hi This is concerning a nerve problem I have had for nearly 40 years. It started when I was 10 when my aunt died from cancer also my nephew died the year before at 3 from cancer. Because I have always been sensitive sort this effected me and I started
having bad thoughts convincing myself that I had cancer first in my tummy then in my head I felt anxious and sick and lost my appetite. This went on for a year or so then it manifested into horrible thoughts on various members of the family. I would touch
things hold on to it until nice thought came. Example if I am walking have nasty thought in that place I would have to stay there until I changed Nast though into nice thought then I could move on. Still the same now I am currently on Venlafaxine tablets they
have been good and have for a long time when they got into my system helped me to cope with day to day living. over the past month or so I have found that I am getting worse and the thoughts are stronger. I am a very vivid dreamer and the dreams I have are
so real and complex that they seem real. I compare this to the awake thoughts when they come in a split second they seem real that's why it effects me so much. I think I have a form of OCD having to touch things replace my steps etc. Have spent hours in one
place trying to sort things out. It can be very hard to live normal life when these get bad. Just thought it would be interesting to find out from an expert on this as we have in recent years improved understanding in mental health issues. I was on some other
anti depressant tablets before these but after a while I seem to get amuned to them and they are not as effective. Is there anything on the market that helps my condition? Thanks rob
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
Hello Rob,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The usual first-line medicine for this would be a type of antidepressant, specifically an SSRI. However, there are several others that can be considered if an SSRI is not effective. There are also some other medicines that can be used to augment the effect of the antidepressants, such as buspirone.
Optimal improvement in symptoms is usually achieved by using a combination of medicine and counseling, and particularly cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome.