Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Don't really know if it is a neurology question but it's a

Don't really know if it is a neurology question but it's a bit hard to explain what happens. Sometimes, but not frequently, when I'm busy at work I get these moments that I can only explain as weakness in my pelvic and leg areas. I tends to happen after squatting or kneeling on the floor or going up stairs, I have to stop what I am doing and lean or sit for a minute or so because my legs feel like I'm going to collapse. They don't feel wobbly just overwhelmingly weak and then instantly okay again. It is actually quite a horrible feeling but there is no dizzyness or lightheadedness or nausea. What might be causing this?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
The most common explanation for something like this would be deconditioning, which can creep up on us slowly over many years of a sedantary lifestyle. This would be especially true if you gained any weight during this time period.Other than that, there are some neurological conditions that can result in easy fatiguability of muscles, such that repeated use causes the muscle to weaken temporarily. One example of this would be myasthenia gravis, an autoimmune condition that your doctor or a neurologist could easily test you for, and get you on an effective treatment if necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do suffer from muscle fatigue after exertion and general exhaustion after some days at work, it seems to build up. But this is a bit different to that feeling I can struggle upstairs, I can climb steadily upstairs and I can get this wierd overwhelming weak feeling after climbing stairs and all this can happen in a morning. My fatigue appears to increase over time, my weakness appears to be episodic and brought on by different things, mostly to do with climbing. Trouble is I have been tested for myasthenia gravis,negative, and other neuromuscular conditions, including negative muscle biopsy (apparently it was virtually normal), and the last strength test was normal. I never have any tests while actually suffering from the fatigue or weakness, do you think this would make any difference?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
No. The tests should reveal an underlying neuro condition whether you are having symptoms at the time or not.If all tests are normal, it is hard to define the issue, and even more difficult to fashion an appropriate treatment plan.I would suggest you work with a physical therapist and perhaps see a mental health professional if you think there may be a component of excess stress, anxiety, depression, etc.