Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I am 63. Male. First seizure was 3 and a half years ago. No

I am 63. Male. First seizure was 3 and a half years ago. No known cause. Went on keppra. Going along ok then another seizure this week. Both involved severe prolonged convulsions, bitten tongue and wetting myself. I was taken to A&E and sent home after a blood test, check over and paracetamol on a drip. My muscles ache like anything. Now worried what to do next. Should I visit my GP and talk it over. My head feels very fuzzy and I feel like I have been hit by a bus. Both seizures occurred in the early hours when asleep. The first seizure involved a fractured arm and dislocated shoulder after fighting with paramedics (so my wife tells me) but this time I was more passive I am told. I think this second one has got me thinking more negatively about the future.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
You should definitely discuss this with your GP and request a referral to an epileptologist (typically a neurologist with specialty training in seizure disorders).
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
It is not uncommon for some individuals to have a single seizure with no known cause. Sometimes no treatment is required. When a person has had 2 or more seizures, however, he or she is considered to have a seizure disorder...particularly if the subsequent seizures are "breakthrough seizures"...namely those that occur while one is already on anti-seizure medication. There may be a simple explanation for this most recent seizure...perhaps related to a sudden change in the blood level of the anti-seizure medication you are taking, or to some other factor (e.g. alcohol) that is lowering your seizure threshold. However, it may be related to a more serious underlying condition (e.g. a CNS lesion) that has progressed since your initial evaluation. This would best be sorted out by a specialist, in my opinion.