Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I had my first epileptic seizure last week (and had been

Customer Question

Hi, I had my first epileptic seizure last week (and had been abusing caffiene pills for about 2/3 weeks beforehand), I haven't had any caffiene since but today I had some coffee and wanted to ask, if I don't have epilepsy, could caffiene trigger another seizure? I had a tonic clonic seizure. Also if you could let me know about larger doses so I'm aware for future. Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(I realise it's not wise to have that much caffiene, I have a history of substance abuse so unfortunately I make these silly mishaps quite often because I like the almost drug like effect of caffiene)
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laura. Were you evaluated for your seizure? Did you have any tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, blood work, ECG for 24hrs, EKG (I think, on my head) and that all came back normal
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
A normal work up is very reassuring. This would be even more true if you had a normal MRI. That said, many individuals experience a seizure or seizures without a readily identifiable cause. There are many triggers to guard against, but in reality, the only predictable thing about most seizures is that they are unpredictable. That said, it is more likely that your seizure was triggered by something common such as sleep deprivation, stress, an infection or change in hormone levels, alcohol, supplements or drug use, even tobacco has been known to lower one's threshold. As for caffeine, the data is not clear. Some studies suggest a role for excess caffeine, or stopping caffeine suddenly, while some indicate no connection. I think you will need to see what time tells. Either way, everyday levels of caffeine ingestion should not be a concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great, thanks very much. And yes I forgot to mention I had an MRI and that was normal aswell
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
That's all good. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a singular event without recurrence.
If you do have another sezure, then you have a seizure disorder, by definition, and will need to see a neurologist and probably get on anti-seizure medication to keep you safe.