Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

My question is about brain anevrysm. It looks established that

Customer Question

My question is about brain anevrysm. It looks established that sudden raise of blood pressure, like being startled, could trigger an anevrysm rupture. But for a person who do not have a brain anevrysm, could being startled (horror movies...) have any sort of negative effect on the brain arteries? (which could potentially stimulate the formation of an anevrysm)
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Being startled as you describe causes minimal and temporary changes in the vasculature of the brain. The cerebral blood vessels in most individuals are sufficiently pliant to absorb these changes and then revert back to their resting state. This normally precludes any one event from causing an aneurysm to form.