Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I'm a 27 year old female smoker. Five months ago

Hello, I'm a 27 year old female smoker.
Five months ago I was struck in the head by a heavy piece of luggage that someone dropped from an overhead locker on a plane. At the time I was confused and dizzy. I went to the urgent care facility because of the pain/headaches (it felt like my brain was melting) after struggling for a week. I was given codeine and paracetamol. After this I felt fine.
I started a new job 6 weeks ago which involves sitting at a desk all day, Monday to Friday. A few days after this I had pain in my neck and upper arm and began to have the same headaches. Then I started visibly shaking constantly, especially my hands, but all over my body.
I visited a chiropractic for a few weeks. He helped me with an injury in my neck caused by the incident on the plane. However he couldnt help with the shaking and recommended that I see a neurologist.
I've recently moved and cannot get registered/in to see a GP as quick as I would like and am getting worried as the symptoms are getting worse.
I've been taking calcium and vit D tablets for a couple of weeks. Stopped taking pain killers. I'm drinking 2/3 litres of water a day and eat every few hours.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Are you in good health otherwise? Do you take any medications for any reason?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Other than my shaking and head/neck injury I'm in good health. It's been a stressful period of my life the last six months. Ive had some life changes (change in job and relocating) and some skin allergies, though these calmed down somewhat in the last two months.I started taking birth control pills (0.2mg etinilestradiol, 0.1mg levonorgestrel) 6 months ago and also since this issue started I've not being able to do any exercise other than walking to and from work.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Changing jobs and relocating are 2 of the 5 major stressors of life. This likely has been playing a large role in your symptoms. It is not likely to be directly related to your head/neck injury if you returned to normal in the interim. That said, I would suggest you ask your employer for an ergonomic evaluation of your workstation to make sure it is set up properly for you, and not causing or contributing to your pain and shaking. If this is not possible, you may need to take a couple weeks off of work to see if being away from work helps your symptoms to settle down or improve. Your primary care doctor can provide a note for you in this regard once you have one. In addition, you should consider seeing a mental health provider to help treat any anxiety or depression that is developing as a result of your situation. These problems will only make your other issues worse, and prevent you from getting better expeditiously.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks that makes sense to me. Do you think I need to ask my doctor to see a neurologist or is it the shaking definetely sounds like stress/work related problem?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Does the shaking come and go or is it constant? Does it occur during sleep?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
If the shaking is all over, comes and goes, seems to get worse at work and improves or goes away with sleep, it is much more likely to be stress and anxiety related. If you can take some time off work, this might help to determine if it is strictly work related or not. If it did not improve, and continued to worsen, particularly if you developed other symptoms such as weakness, disequilibrium, problems with speech or swallowing, you would want to see a neurologist.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It does stop when I sleep I think and starts again in the morning. The shaking is constant but gets worst for periods during the day ( it's visible in my cheeks, the back of my thighs ans specially left arm and hand).Stress does make it worse and I'm having some of the symptoms you talked about. For instance, I feel very week in general and occasionally affects my balance. I had a problem swallowing when the shaking started but I'm not feeling it anymore. English isn't my first language and I still struggle sometimes but the last few weeks I noticed some speech problems (mixing words, mumbling) get worse because of the tension/shaking.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Stress, anxiety, poor sleep, fatigue can all gang up on a person, resulting in fasciculations (twitching), shakiness, problems concentrating, brain fog, reduced speed of thinking and reduced productivity at work. Treatment starts with a careful physical exam by one's doctor and basic blood tests to rule out an organic (treatable) condition that may be causing your symptoms or making them worse (e.g. diabetes, low thyroid, low vitamin or electrolyte levels, etc). Then it is a matter of taking better care of oneself...getting 7-8 hours or more of good sleep every night, exercising regularly, eating a balanced diet, cutting back on or eliminating alcohol and tobacco, finding time for nature and meaningful relationships, taking yoga or mindfulness classes, and doing charity work as part of a community of supportive community.
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience