Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I need some help, im a 27 year old male living in the

Hello i need some help, im a 27 year old male living in the uk, over the last 8 months i have been experiencing bodywide twitching that seems to of worsened, mostly the twitching was in my legs but now i have had it bad in my arms more so in my triceps, at the moment i have strong and frequent twitch in my left tricep going of about 2 or 3 times a second and has been going on now for 24 hours its like a thump that moves the entire tricep, it has kept me awake and i'm frightened to death this is ALS at the moment i have no weakness or atrophy that I know of and have to wait 4 and a half months to see a neurologist, if anyone knows what else this could be I would greatly appreciate it.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lloyd. Are you in good health otherwise? Do you take any medications or supplements? This is a common symptom in many otherwise healthy young men. Twitching is referred to as "fasciculations" and is usually bengin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob thank you for reply, I believe I have spoken to you before about my legs twitching which they still are unfortunately. I am not on a medication at the moment the only supplements I am trying is magnesium citrate witch has not done alot, health wise I feel fine strength seems normal and i'm still going to the gym. so far the thumping twitch seems to of subsided it went on for a couple of days, I have had similar one spot twitches in my hand, shin and shoulder at different times that have lasted just as long since I have the twitching, but my main worry is these arm twitches, especially in my triceps for some reason, if I look in the mirror they sort of flicker and dimple at times about one every 2 -3 minutes in different spots, i'm wondering if these can indicate anything serious? thanks ~ Lloyd
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
This is an indication that a muscle bundle in your arm is contracting due to neuromuscular irritability. The irritability could be from overuse or generalized stress or fatigue. Electrolyte abnormalities are less likely in someone like yourself who is otherwise healthy. In the vast majority of cases, these sorts of migratory, transient fasciculations are totally benign longterm. You probably are aware of BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome) and know that there is a spectrum of symptoms from very mild to quite severe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob yes I am aware of BFS hopefully that is the case, is there anything that may help reduce the twitching, any supplements or medication?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
The best medicine seems to be a regular schedule of good sleep. Beyond that, stress reduction, regular exercise (not weightlifting), a balanced diet, yoga/meditation and healthy relationships seem to be protective. I think gentle daily stretching of all muscle groups is also overlooked. In the end, if these things don't work, a low dose benzodiazepine or ssri might be beneficial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. ~ Lloyd