Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I suffer from genital herpes . I had an attack last friday

i suffer from genital herpes . I had an attack last friday and took antiviral medicine ( famciclovir). The blisters were small and are healing very nicely. Then yesterday i started to get a lot of shooting pain in my testicLE and that's carried on all day. is that a new attack of posy herpetic neuralgia?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Post-herpetic neuralgia follows the course of the affected nerve, and is associated with the herpes zoster virus not the herpes simplex virus that causes genital herpes. Your testicular pain is likely from another source, whether it be mild trauma, epididymitis, radiation from a ureteral stone, etc. If it is severe and unremitting, or is causing you nausea or sweating, you should be seen urgently to make sure it is not a torsion. This requires emergent evaluation and ultrasound. Otherwise, anti-inflammatories and rest (e.g wearing briefs or jockstrap to support the testicles) may be helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alan. Did you have any follow up questions for me? If not, please don't forget to provide a rating. Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi "alan". did you mean to provide a negative rating without comment? how old are you? did you know children under the age of 15 are not supposed to be using this service? please have an adult assist you next time.