Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Recently over the course of the past few months

Hey there.
Recently over the course of the past few months I have been getting strange sensations down the right side of my body, like a jolt of electricity shocking me. And also sometimes when I try to sleep at night I get a sort of explosion sound in my head and I get woken up, and it scares me so much to the point I have trouble sleeping.
I started developing a cold two weeks ago, bringing up alot of mucus and getting crackling ears and pains in my head and face, I've been to the doctors and explained my situation and he said it's probably just sinusitis.
I started getting pains in my right temple which kept me up at night sometimes, they've gotten better and don't get worse when I move about or shake my head, they're sort of like a pressure pain, but I've also been getting pains with my sinus issues around the eye and the forehead and cheekbones as well so it seems like it's being caused by the sinuses. And now recently I've started getting the same pains in my left temple area as well.
But recently, I've noticed my memory is really bad. I'll have difficulty completing thought processes and I'll forget things I would normally remember. I'll end up walking backwards and forwards around the house trying to remember if I've done something or not several times a day. I also find I have spells of dizziness and stuttered speech.
I don't want to expect the worst because I'm only 25 years old and I have had problems with my nerves in the past and I worry too much but I can't get the thought of a brain tumour out my head so I don't know what to do at this time. could you give me some advice?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patrick. Brain tumors are rare at 25 and do not present in this way. Are you currently being treated for your sinus infection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had a simple physical examination by the doctor. (looked down my throat and through my ears) and he said that I don't need any treatment and it should go away by itself.But the main thing that's concerning me is my memory difficulties, I normally have a fantastic memory and I never normally get headaches at all. I am still bringing up green mucus and getting facial pains every now and then. Can sinus problems cause these symptoms? I can sometimes get above moderate pains in both my left and right temple/area around the eyes.What do you think this could be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also add I've started to get muscle twitches and jerks all over my body and the back of my head also hurts a little as well.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you might have a couple things going on at the same time. First, a sinus infection can lead to facial pains, headaches, green mucous and pain around the eyes and temples. It can also lead to dizziness and problems concentrating with subsequent memory issues. This should be treated. If present for more than 10 days it will likely need antibiotics to clear completely. As for your muscles twitching, this is often a sign of fatigue and poor sleep, or excessive anxiety. These conditions often lead to tension headaches as well, most commonly in the back of the head. You might need your doctor to prescribe a medication to help you sleep and reduce your headache frequency. This can be done short term, weeks to months, and then stopped when symptoms improve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sinus issues have been present since 2 fridays ago. The sinuses have since cleared up since I started taking the doxycycline 2 days ago. However, the muscle twitches and dizziness and headaches persist. Also, the memory issues aren't just minor, they are quite severe. I have never had memory problems as bad as this before. I'll go to do something then while I'm on the way to get something I'll completely forget what I was doing. this happens multiple times a day. And occasionally when I try to remember simple information, it'll feel like I've completely forgotten it, like a mental blur when I try to remember things. Can this all be related to the sinus issues? With the headaches, dizziness, the memory issues and the muscle twitches, can you see why I've came to the conclusion of a brain tumor?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Give the sinus treatment more time. It can take weeks to clear completely. The other symptoms may improve. If not, see a mental health professional and request an evaluation for anxiety, which can be treated, and a neurpsychological evaluation which can tell you if there are any fixed memory or other cognitive deficits to be worried about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you are not worried about it being anything sinister, like a brain tumor?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
No, not at your age. One suggestion would be to get a head CT to look at the sinuses. This would give you more information about whether there is infection present and, if so, if there are any mechanical issues involving the sinuses (e.g narrowing, blockages) that are pre-disposing you to these infections. The CT would also provide additional information about the brain, ruling out rare disorders such as hydrocephalus or a tumor.
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience