Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Last 2 months or so I have been experiencing

HiFor the last 2 months or so I have been experiencing all weird stuff happening to me and my GP has now done an urgent referral to a neurologist.
Basically if I can describe an "attack" and see if you can give me any insight please and see if you can advise any way to stop it. It will start where I start getting pins and needle sensation across most of my body and in my face at the temples and jaw. Then I will what I can only describe as feel really weird as if there is something wrong, then I will get a sensation as if I am on a rollercoaster and have done a 100mph drop, feels as if my stomach has went into my chest. Which will be followed by nausea and diarrhoea. Then to finish it off I will get like an electric shock sensation to my head. No pain and it only lasts a few seconds at most but once that happens I will feel extremely tired and usually I would then sleep for a few hours and before I fall asleep I will be jerked out of sleep but like an electric shock sensation to my body, which I can get multiple times. I get attacks like these up to 3-5 times a day, some days I don't have any and it's seriously impacting on my quality of life and I'm going to have to go off on long term sick from work. I generally feel exhausted and even know I am lying down watching tv and I'm getting pins and needles across my face and in my hands with intermittent sharp shocks in my right arm.Thanks for any helpChris
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.I think that with the symptoms that you are having there is a possibility of multiple sclerosis that must be considered.I would recommend having MRI of your brain and spine done for this.I would also like that you should have your vitamin B12 and thyroid hormone levels checked.Sometimes a low level of these can lead to the symptoms that you are having.Another possibility is that you could be having sensory seizures or sensory epilepsy. In this condition one can have attacks or episodes of sensations like what you are having. If this is the diagnosis treatment with medications of seizures will help.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for the reply. I had a full blood panel done and everything was fine. My kidney levels were raised and they have to be re tested in 1 weeks time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh also my uncle on my fathers side had MS
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.I think that a neurologist referral will do great, which I think you are scheduled to have.Also, I think that you should mention the possibility of sensory epilepsy to the neurologist to make sure that is considered.The experts on this site are only credited for a positive rating so I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.Regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine