Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  15 years' clinical experience
23744323

My 84 year father has had a fall during which he banged

My 84 year father has had a fall during which he banged his head. Soon after a bleed on the brain was diagnosed. He was unconscious for around 15 minutes, but subsequently, fully conscious, alert and lucid. He has complete clarity of speech and thought, so far as we can tell. He has been out of hospital for nearly two weeks, following two days in hospital of observation only. Since then, however, there has been one persistent system, which is causing him great anxiety, and appears to have stumped the doctors. Intermittent numbness in the left arm. We are finding it hard to get answers as to weather this is a sign of a stroke that might have already happened or an incipient stroke following the bleed. His latest CT scan is encouraging, showing no further deterioration in the brain area and no continued bleeding. However, still seeking any information on what might be causing the numbness.

The type of damage to his brain has been classified as axonal diffuse injury.

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.This is indeed puzzling. However, likely explanation can be persistent irritation of the sensory cortex in the brain. Blood can be an irritant and there can be surrounding edema or swelling around the bleeding area. The symptoms may worsen without any new development in the brain due to the persistent irritation of the brain area responsible for left arm sensation. Only if he develops weakness or more profound spread of numbness that will require further imaging. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much for your observation on my father's situation Dr. Basu. Most helpful.

Paul Richards

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcome