wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I am a 25 year old male studying medicine in the UK. past 6

Customer Question

I am a 25 year old male studying medicine in the UK. For the past 6 weeks I have had constant, literally constant fasciculations in my calve/ hamstrings muscles and quads and to a lesser extent my shoulders and arms. Prior to the twitching I can only describe what was restless leg syndrome in my left leg, which is still sort of there but to a much lesser degree.
I have percieved weakness in my left foot but it isn't really as I can still run, skip and do other activities. Only when im walking am I aware of it.
I gym regualry and haven't noticed any reduction in strength. Infact I have increased in my power a bit - i think in an effort to demonstrate to myself I am fine.
I occasionally get fatgiued muscles especially in the right arm, but it doesn't actually stop me. It aches a bit when tired.
I also have a frequent sensation of an internal tremble which is very hard to explain but almost feels like there is a mini earthquake going on inside me when I sit or hold myself in particular positions.
I am getting married in the 3 weeks and this constant fear of ALS is really ruining my build up to the wedding.
I have seen one neurologist who said he isnt concerned and saw no need for an EMG. I was wondering with the info I've given any neurologists here could give their opinion. I would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
John
Category: Neurology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

John,

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

What year are you in your medical school training?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Rick,With regard to skype etc I would need to see prices, getting married isnt cheap and so everything is on a budget.I have no other medical problems and take no medication.John D
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

John,

Congrats on the wedding plans :)

We could do skype or even a phone call. I'll attach a offer....

From what you have posted you do NOT have ALS.

You are probably suffering from from medical student disease -- a condition where you come down with every horrible, untreatable problem you are studying. We have all been there and done that!

Also getting married is enough to freak out even the toughest male on the planet.......

If you are really worried then, of course, the best way to convince yourself that you are not coming down with ALS is to see a private neurologist for a full workup.

In my professional opinion, that is not necessary.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Its reassuring to hear that you do not think ALS.With regard to medical student syndrome i am not sure as I havent studied any neuro yet, except the very basics. This is why im so concerned about my fasciculations.Yes there is a lot going on just now that can be causong anxiety which I do have.I have heard that the twitches seen in ALS patients are due to muscle dying. If this is true? Then would expect that after 6 weeks of it I would for sure seeing some decrease in my performace at the gym if not even in my daily activities?I am unable to skype or call just now as im at work. Will consider it for later though.Thanks *****
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

John,

Put your fears -- and questions about ALS -- out of your thoughts and focus on your upcoming happy, married life :)

This is just your anxiety acting up

Best of luck in your studies and your upcoming nuptials :)

See the pretty Excellent feedback button? Don't be afraid. Give it a little push. You'll like it.....Trust me, I'm a Doctor ;)

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to keep going on, just my nerves are shot to peices and with the wedding coming up I really need to be free of this.Can you tell me your thought proccess behind you suspecting I don' t have ALS .Thanks,John
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

My thought processes are such that you do not have a rare, incurable disease.......

You have anxiety.

Relax.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Best of luck in your studies :)