Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My so was diagnosed with Anterior Horn Cell disease when he

My so was diagnosed with Anterior Horn Cell disease when he was 15/16 some 10 years ago.He was a very promising junior tennis player but had to stop due to the problem. It has mainly effected his right side, arm and hand in particular where the muscle has withered appreciably to the extent he finds it difficult to hand write. It was also detected to a lesser extent on the his side. At the time he was devastated as Tennis would have been his career and he did fantastically to overcome the disappointment. We thank God that the problem seemed to stop at a certain point.He now lives a full normal life and has a great career. We never got to the bottom of why or how this happened. At the time there was no cure so my question is has stem cell technology advanced and is there now any potential cure for ALS or Anterior Horn Cell disease?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your son.

Stem cell technology is still very much in the research phase.

Scientists have cured a number of patients with multiple sclerosis in an article recently published.

So there is hope but this treatment is still in experimental phase and we can hope that in future cure for this problem may be available.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You mention a recently published paper. In what publication and can I get access. How can I find out what research is going on specifically for Anterior Horn Cells problems or closely associated problems. I appreciate it is a wide ranging problem but I'm trying to get more specific information.