Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have just been diagnosed by MRi that I have a 2mm

Customer Question

I have just been diagnosed by MRi that I have a 2mm herniation of the cereblla tonsils to the foramen magnum which is consistent with a very mild finding of a Chiari on malformation.
I received this diagnosis via a copy of a letter to my doctor sent to me. I have tried talking to my doctor who says he doesn't know any answers to my questions and that I am talking to the wrong person. I have tried contacting my Consultant who is still not getting back to me.
I want to know what will happen with this? Will it ever go? Can I fly? Can I carry on as normal? Will my severe headaches ever stop without the drowsey medication I have been put on? Is it life threatening?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

2mm is a very mild Chiari malformation.

yes, you can fly in an airplane.

yes, you can carry on as normal.

you may have to be a bit cautious at repetitive jumping exercise programs.

2mm chiari is not life threatening.

have you tried migraine headache medications like imitrex?