Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

If a pregnant mother has a craving smell of petrol, and

Customer Question

If a pregnant mother has a craving for the smell of petrol, and every so often inhales the smell to satisfy the craving, could this cause birth defects or harm the child later in life?
I have minor general health problems such as fatigue, relatively low testosterone and disrupted sleep, and have been searching for causes for a few years but to no avail. Recently my mother mentioned how she had cravings such as this one when she was pregnant and it made me wonder if this could cause poor general health in the child. I've had many blood tests and all have been normal, other than the relatively low for my age(23) testosterone. Part of me wonders whether the testosterone and fatigue is simply related to poor sleep quality as I know there is correlation between sleep and testosterone.
My mother said she craved with all three children and their health is fine, and I must stress it wasn't a constant thing just an craving where every so often she we satisfy as mentioned
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

this is Dr. David

most likely her smelling petrol would not have affected you in the womb or caused birth defects.

what is your blood testosterone and thyroid hormone levels?

have you worked on improving your diet and exercising to help improve your energy levels and sleep?