Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Over the past few months, I have been getting very

Hey thereOver the past few months, I have been getting very concerning symptoms. It started out as getting headaches on either side of my temples, getting a strange burning sensation that radiated from my temple to my scalp and back of head/neck pain. I will also get strange warm sensations, like warm water is dripping down the side of my head.As the months have gone on, it has progressed and accompanied now by cognitive impairment, such as:--difficulty with speech (slurring words and mispronunciation)
-forgetting the right words to say) Bad memory problems, especially short term memory. I will go to start a simple task in my head such as washing the dishes and by the time I get there, I will forget what I was doing.
-Double vision (ghost images) and eye pain
-Muscle spasms in my neck, arms and legs
-Spells of dizzinessI have had a CT head done, which was clear. and for piece of head, I also had a MRI done, which also came back clear.So now I am at a loss as to what is going on. do you have any ideas what it could be?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Were you in good health when all this started? Do you take any medications for any reason? Any supplements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in good health. no past medical history of any sort. other than IBS which hasn't given me problems for a while. It started as sinus issues which then developed into a persistent headache, and is now accompanied by all these cognitive symptoms, it makes me feel like I have the brain of an 80 year old man. It's awful. I usually have a great memory.CT and MRI came back with nothing so I have no idea what's going on. The amitriptyline my doctors prescribed me hasn't been helping either. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

The normal CT and MRI are very reassuring vis a vis a progressive neurological disorder. Also your age would mitigate against this heavily. In the abscence of documented organic pathology, one would have to postulate that you are experiencing the very early stages of a systemic inflammatory disorder (rare) or, more likely, the effects of cumulative stress, anxiety, poor sleep, fatigue, caffeine/supplement use, etc (very common these days).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can exclude brain tumors out completely now that I have had a clear MRI and CT?What kind of immune disorders could be causing these symptoms? I should also mention I am getting these warm sensations in my head and neck. as well as the muscle twitches and headaches, and especially the memory and speech problems it's all very concerning and debilitating.Do you think I should focus on being treated for stress? Amitriptyline hasn't helped other than make me very tired.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes, given what you have said here, you can rule out brain tumors. Certain immune disorders like fibromyalgia, Lyme disease, syphilis, amyloidosis, mononeuritis multiplex, etc can have variable neurological signs and symptoms associated with them, though this is less likely.

I do think focusing on your stress would be the most promising approach. As amitriptyline can be sedating, you might want to try something else, perhaps an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication such as lexapro or celexa. A mental health professional can help you to get this under control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been to the doctors today and he has prescribed me Sertraline. Is that any good?Do you have any advice to manage my memory problems? As it's getting frustrating forgetting alot of things that I would normally remember. do you think once I've controlled the anxiety, this will subside?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Sertraline belongs to a class of medications known as SSRIs. They are generally very effective for anxiety...and the depression that often goes along with it. Sounds like a reasonable choice. Just be aware, it can take several weeks or more to notice improvement. As for your memory, this should improve along with the anxiety, as anxiety is a form of distraction that impairs the acquisition of information and its retrieval from the memory centers. In the meantime, carry a small notebook and pen with you and write down important information, so that you do not forget. Using a cellphone can also be effective, but sometimes the act of taking out a notebook and writing actually improves retention.