Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have aching joints that come and go darts of pain all over

Customer Question

I have aching joints that come and go darts of pain all over muscles ache and occassionally have pins and needles in hands and feet. Recently had bloods where ferritin levels were raised but do not have haemachromatosis thyroid function slightly raised and needs retesting in 3 months. On Prozac for depression. I am anxious about why I have these pains . I am 56
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panicking in case of motor neurons disease
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Breda. You should not worry about MND. It involves the motor neurons so symptoms are weakness, clumsiness, spasms, difficulty swallowing, etc. It is not characterized by pain or numbness and tingling as you describe. Has this been going on for a long time?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

If this has been going on for awhile and your GP can't pinpoint the problem, ask for a referral to a rheumatologist to rule out an autoimmune or autoinflammatory condition such as fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reassurance. It's on and off for a couple of weeks now. My doctor did bloods for inflammation but they were clear. Do menapause cause symptoms like this?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Menopause can lead to symptoms like this, or make them worse. A low thyroid can also do this, so you will need to follow up on that. Depression and anxiety that arenot well controlled can also worsen such symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I will try to relax and not overthink the symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any additional questions.