Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I've recently had a Brain MRI due to dizziness and some

I've recently had a Brain MRI due to dizziness and some confusion from time to time.I had the scan done back in June time and the report said the following:Technique: Routine sequences without contrastFindings:Ventricles and extre-axial CSF spaces are within normal limits
Arterial and venous flow voids are present as expected
There is no focal posterior fossa lesion seen. No space occupying lesion seen
No cerebellar or large CP angle lesionMild symmetrical increased signal is noted in the globus pallidus billaterally with small focus of susceptibility. No associated volume loss seen. No restricted diffusion.Normal craniocervical junctionConclusions/Recommendations: There is no space occupying lesion seen
Bilateral symmetrical foci of increased T2 signal is noted in the globus pallidus, with small focus of susceptability, suggesting mineralisation.
This is of uncertain clinical significance, in the context of dizziness. However, the patient is rather young for physiological changes.I would suggest neurology refferal and neurometabolic/toxic work up to be prudent.I have seen a consultant about the above findings from the Scan and he said that there was nothing to be concerned about, it's in normal limits and is considered normal part of aging.Would your assessment be along those lines may I ask?Also - My estranged Father has just died from a Brain AVM in the last 2 weeks.My other question is, in light of my Father's Brain AVM. Would the type of scan that I had back in June, would it have picked up on a potential Brain AVM or not so?Sorry for the long message but I'd be most grateful for your help and professional advice.Many Thanks Emma.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Emma. MRI is a very sensitive study for picking up AVMs. It would not have missed a clinically significant AVM. This would not explain your symptoms anyway. Your symptoms are very non-specific, meaning they could be caused by any one of a number of things. The findings on MRI may or may not be factors. They are commonly seen on MRI, though usually starting in one's 40's. They are more common in those with certain medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, smoking, migraine syndromes and rheumatsim. The fact that you saw a specialist and he was not concerned is very reassuring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the response, it's appreciated.To clarify re the AVM. The scan I had was 'Routine sequences without contrast' my worry was that something like an AVM, wouldn't show up on that type of scan.I've been doing the, dreaded 'reading online' and as I kinda understood it, that an AVM would only be seen 'with contrast' - do you not believe that to be the case and think that a possible AVM, COULD be seen with the type of scan that I had, ie 'Routine sequences without contrast'?Sorry for the checking over of facts, it's just that if I don't need to I don't want to have to ask for another scan, for the purposes of putting my mind to rest over the AVM as it's worried me since my fathers death and my previous issues, even though they've turned out to be okay.Am I also correct in thinking that AVM's tend to not really be considered hereditary?Thank you and speak to you soon re the above.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Contrast is helpful for looking for AVMs on CT. It is not necessary with MRI (where it is used more for characterizing tumors). As for AVMs they are hereditary in some families. However, this just means the risk is slightly higher than for an average person. It does not mean that everyone in the family will have one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so I can feel pretty safe that the scan I most recently had would have likely to have picked up the AVM if there was one without the need for contrast to view it?I know I'm labouring the point, please forgive me for that.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes. That is the case.