Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

My mum was yesterday diagnosed with lumbar spondylosis

Customer Question

My mum was yesterday diagnosed with lumbar spondylosis following 4 weeks of severe pain in her left arm and a purple/black discolouration in her left hand. The pain is worse and unbearable at night and when she lies down. She had a slipped disc in a car accident 15 years ago, which has caused her lots of tingling, discomfort and sciatica type pain since and usually she is unable to get out of bed.
A different doctor said the hand discolouration is due to blood vessels in her hand narrowing. She's been prescribed aceclofenac plus paracetamol tablets but the pain won't ease. We're desperate for pain relief and just to know what is going on. It's very scary
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chi. The lumbar spondylosis (arthritis) may explain her low back and leg symptoms but would not explain the pain in her arm nor the discoloration of her hand. How long has she had the arm problem in total, and has it been getting slowly better or slowly worse?