Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My ex-wife is claiming maintenance from me on the basis she

Customer Question

HI there, my ex-wife is claiming maintenance from me on the basis she is not fit for work due to having fibromyalgia. She is a proven liar about many things, and from the research I have done it seems that fibromyalgia is a diagnosis given very much on what the patient tells you rather than there being any objectively visable/testable symptoms. Is this correct? Would it be worthwhile getting expert evidence on this as I am worried that I will spend the money on getting an opinion and all the expert will be able to do is take her word on the symptoms she says she is having and would have little choice but to confirm the diagnosis and it would be a waste of money?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.

It would not be a waste of money. Even if she can prove she has the diagnosis, it is treatable. The symptoms do not cause a person unable to work. It would be extremely hard if not impossible to prove complete disability. i would pursue the expert opinion.