Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

If a 15 yr old child was given lorazepam at an adult dose of

Customer Question

If a 15 yr old child was given lorazepam at an adult dose of 2.5mg T.D.S for 5 mths in error how would that error be corrected in terms of diazepam equivalent in withdrawal (taking into consideration the prescribing guidelines for child) and what long term effects would it have on the brain in terms of benzodiazepine rececptors. I ask this question as I have been prescribed diazepam several times in the past 30 yrs for anxiety but each time it undershoots and causes ptsd & depression.Does my brain think it's in withdrawal. For obvious reasons I am in between GP's at present and I am struggling to understand neuroscience and the brain.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 10 months ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David

for children, lorazepam maximum dose is 2mg maximum per dose.

so for the child, the dose can be brought down easily to 2mg three times a day

there would be no long term side effects to the receptors. why is the child getting lorazepam? for anxiety symptoms or seizures prevention?

if you have severe anxiety symptoms, and the diazepam dose is not enough, you will continue to have anxiety and ptsd symptoms. diazepam doesn't treat depression. you would need another anti-depressent agent to help with depression symptoms.