Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

3 months ago I started getting this headache mostly above

Customer Question

3 months ago I started getting this headache mostly above and behind my left eye and in the bottom left side of my head. It's caused dizziness, concentration problems, blurred vision, uncontrolled eye movements, mental clarity difficulties, memory problems, mood swings, tiredness, derealization, have had diarrhea every time I've gone to toilet for months, numbness in my muscles to the point I cannot feel them atall along with other symptoms. Some symptoms have improved with healthier diet and others ongoing especially my headache. It feels as though there's a blockage and sometimes feels like it's eased slowly like when you stop circulation to a body part you can feel the blood travel aback and my symptoms get temporarily relieved. I saw my GP about a month ago and was very vague on what it could be, tested my blood pressure and strength of my arms and said give it another month. Just after it started when it was worse I had a blood test including electrolytes which came back normal apart from blood sugar being slightly too high. This started after a night of heavy drinking. I have consumed large amounts of alcahol on a requirement basis and had an unhealthy diet until these 3 months ago when symptoms became more apperent. I'm 19 and have been diagnosed with derealization 2 years ago which I still have but not as bad.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Hi Adam. Headaches like this are quite common and non-specific. There are many possible causes. Are you still drinking alcohol? Do you take any drugs or supplements?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Currently had no alcahol for 3 months since it started. Did try some colloidal silver spray to see whether that would make a difference. But it's most the time I feel like I'm in this drunk dizzy state...
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. Do you spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I used to but now I'm out nearly all the time. Use my iPad and phone regularly but not for long periods at a time.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

I would see an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) for a complete examination if you haven't done so in the past 6 months. Even a slight astigmatism or other problem with the eye can result in tremendous strain when viewing an ipad or phone screen for more than a few hours per day. Eye strain can trigger moderately severe headaches on a daily basis, especially in otherwise healthy young individuals. These headaches can, in turn, interfere with sleep, energy level, ability to concentrate, etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the response! However I did see the ophthalmologist when I had a similar problem with my eye/s before about 6 months ago which cleared up in a month or less which was bought on literally after drinking and they said my eyes were fine?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

In that case, a next reasonable step would be to get a head CT. While typically normal in someone your age, it would at least rule out either an unusual CNS issue (e.g. vascular lesion, hydrocephalus) or a sinus problem (another common culprit). If normal, you should see a neurologist to see if you might have a variant of cluster headaches or a trigeminal cephalgia. Either way, there are medications that can reduce the frequency and severity of your headaches.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou I will do that!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.