Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have regular 3 monthly disport injections in my neck for

Customer Question

I have regular 3 monthly disport injections in my neck for Dystonia which work well for me. Can you tell me if I have cosmetic botox injections in my forehead is there a chance that this could lessen the effect in my neck.
I have been having both for a while and it seems ok but I read on the internet that this is possible.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 month ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hi Jackie. Are you still waiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Yes I am still waiting, thank you

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

I think it is important to keep in mind that neck pain often radiates into the back and sides of the head, producing secondary or complex headache syndromes. The opposite can occur as well. In a situation like this, botox injections into the forehead, even those done for cosmetic purposes, may help to reduce some of the tension in the muscles of the front and sides of the head. This can, in turn, reduce some of the tension in the connected muscles that extend along the sides of the head to the upper neck. So, botox injections in the neck can often help with headaches, and those done in the muscles of the head can help with neck pain. Similarly, occipital nerve blocks in the neck can often help with headaches. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing in advance if it is going to work this way. A trial period is needed. Be sure to let your cosmetic doctor know about this concern. He may want to alter his dose or technique to try to better accomodate both your needs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your reply. So, it sounds like injections in my forehead could actually help my neck and not lessen the effect but possibly improve it?

Do you think that having the neck and forehead injections on the same day is the best way forward and would minimise resistance to the botox?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

The only disadvantage of this is that if you have the injections done on the same day, you will not know which ones helped you the most.